Monday, September 27, 2010

lower school art: part one.

as promised....here are some pictures of my students' work.

this mosaic is a project my 2nd graders finished at the end of last year.  
it took us a LOOOOONG time to complete it and it was a total labor of love....i started to despise this project as it was very time consuming.
my 2nd graders made the letters, gators (our mascot is the mighty mighty gator) and painted the tiles.
then, i broke the tiles (great stress reliever), arranged them, and grouted the sign.
it now hangs in the entrance of our lower school.
while i'm happy with the finished product, i will NEVER do another mosaic project of this magnitude.

decorative turtles created by my 1st graders.
they showed me what they had learned about patterns and I showed them how watercolor paint resists the oil pastel.

some family tree sculptures created by my 2nd graders.

collaged - colorful self-portraits made by my 3rd graders.

a little art history lesson for my 4th graders - to learn about one of the first abstract artists: Kandinsky.

more pictures from my middle school students coming soon!

3 comments:

  1. Wow, Blair, those are really awesome! I don't know which ones I liked best...probably the last ones. And the turtles. I'm so impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks - i love my students! Middle school projects coming soon! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. The mighty mighty gator, huh? I think y'all are borrowing that from Florida. Not too many gators in D.C. That is really, really impressive though. Gotta love those turtles, too. Those things are freakin' sweet. We have some turtles in the canal in front of the house, but they aren't nearly as colorful as those.

    ReplyDelete